To our Clients,
We are here to help you during the Coronavirus outbreak.
We have taken steps to protect the safety and well-being of our customers and our employees and to continue to provide essential banking services.
How we are helping customers during these challenging times.
Small Business Owners
We recognize many small business owners have been hit hard by the Coronavirus (COVID-19).
Small Business Administration (SBA) assistance loans are designed to help businesses cover expenses with low-interest federal loans. Eligible businesses can get help covering payroll and overhead expenses incurred between February 15 to June 30 through the SBA’s Paycheck Protection Program.
Contact your American Federal Banker to learn about these programs that may be of help to you.
Loan Payment Assistance
If COVID-19 has impacted your ability to pay your mortgage and other loan payments, we are here to help. We are offering assistance options that may help you. Call your American Federal Banker to learn more.
Bank from Home
Check your balances and transactions, transfer or send money, set up alerts and more 24/7 online at americanfederalbank.com or use the American Federal mobile app.
Make a quick call to check an account balance or verify a transaction. Call Telephone Banker toll free at 888-805-7828 to access account information 24/7 from anywhere in the United States or Canada. In the Fargo-Moorhead area, customers dial 297-4800.
Online Bill Pay
Pay American Federal accounts and other bills online instead of writing checks.
No waiting for your account statement to arrive in the mail. Access and download your account information anytime, anywhere with any device using eStatement.
Mobile Check Deposit
Deposit checks as soon as you receive them without a trip to the bank. Simply take a photo of the front and back of an endorsed check using the camera on your smartphone or tablet to deposit checks 24/7 to an eligible account.
Save Time and Money
Cash Card Check Card
With “instant issue,” you can get a debit card fast. No need to carry checkblanks or cash. Get immediate access to funds in a qualifying deposit account with an American Federal debit card.
Platinum VISA Credit Card
We’re offering a 0% introductory APR* on purchases and balance transfers for 20 billing cycles. After that, a variable rate is applied.
Cardmembers, who may experience difficulties due to COVID-19, may be eligible for concessions, including fee waivers to prevent assessment of late fees and over limit fees, requests for statement copies and rush card requests. Contact your American Federal Banker for more information.
To alleviate potential stress on households and provide liquidity during these times of uncertainly, American Federal is temporarily:
- allowing an exception which limited the number of transfers or withdrawals between savings and transaction accounts. For money market or savings accounts, American Federal customers may now make unlimited transfers from their money market/savings accounts to their checking accounts when they use Online or Mobile Banking or Telephone Banker. No fees will be incurred, if a customer exceeds the normal six transactions per month limit.
- waiving the early withdrawal penalties on IRA certificate of deposits. In certain COVID-19-related instances, the withdrawal also may be exempt from the 10 percent federal penalty for early withdrawals by customers younger than 59 1/2. Customers should discuss their eligibility for the federal penalty waiver with their tax consultant.
Drive-Ups, Night Depositories and ATMs Open for Clients
To help protect the health and safety of our customers and employees, we have temporarily closed our lobbies. We are encouraging customers to use our drive-ups instead.
At our drive-ups, employees are wearing personal protective equipment, disinfecting surfaces and common objects and practicing physical distancing. Call ahead for an appointment, if you have an emergency and must meet with a Banker.
- Ada, M-F, 8:30 am – 5 pm
- Crookston, M-F, 7:30 am – 5:30 pm; Sat, 8:30 am – Noon
- East Grand Forks, M-F, 8 am – 6 pm; Sat, 8:30 am – Noon
- Fergus Falls, M-F, 7:30 am – 5:30 pm; Sat, 9 am – Noon
- Fosston, M-F, 8 am – 5 pm; Sat, 8:30 am – Noon
- Hallock, M-F, 8:30 am – 5 pm
- Moorhead, M-F, 7:30 am – 6 pm; Sat, 9 am – 1 pm
- Warren, M-F, 8 am – 4 pm
In North Dakota
- Fargo South, M-F, 7:30 am – 6 pm
- Grand Forks, M-F, 8 am – 5:30 pm
- Wahpeton, M-F, 7:30 am – 5:30 pm; Sat, 9 am – Noon
- Ada, Crookston, East Grand Forks, Fergus Falls, Fosston, Hallock, Moorhead and Warren
In North Dakota
- Fargo Downtown, Fargo South, Grand Forks, Northwood and Wahpeton
- Crookston, Ampride Convenience Mart, 1020 Highway 75 South
- East Grand Forks, American Federal Bank, 140 Gateway Drive NE
- Fergus Falls, 117 South Mills Street (west entrance to bank)
- Fosston, 209 Johnson Avenue North
- Hallock, 157 South Second Street
In North Dakota
- Fargo South, 1301 30th Avenue South (off South University Drive)
- Grand Forks, 2551 South Columbia Road
You can get cash surcharge-free from your American Federal deposit account at any MoneyPass® ATM nationwide.
Why your Money is Safe at American Federal Bank
The safest place for your money is in a federally insured bank, like American Federal Bank. Your money is safe, secure and insured.
Bank deposit accounts at American Federal are covered by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) which insures your deposits. FDIC deposit insurance is backed by the full faith and credit of the United States government. Deposit accounts offer flexibility and easy access to your money.
COVID-19 Stimulus Bills – Some Key Takeaways
Congress has passed bills aimed at mitigating the economic impact of COVID-19 and putting money into the economy.
The Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Emergency Stimulus (CARES) Act offers relief for retirees. For individuals, it makes retirement funds available for emergency spending needs and delays mandatory distributions.
- Required minimum distributions (RMDs) for some retirement accounts for 2020 have been waived, including 401(k) plans as well as traditional IRAs, SEP IRAs and SMPLE IRAs.
- Certain beneficiaries taking distributions from inherited IRAs may also skip the 2020 distribution when calculating their five-year distribution period.
- The 10 percent early withdrawal penalty will be waived on aggregate distributions in 2020 of up to $100,000 for certain workplace retirement plans and IRAs for COVID-19-related purposes. The individual can elect to pay the federal income tax on the distribution over three years or has the option to replay the distribution within a three-year period to an eligible retirement plan.
- Loan repayments for affected participants in workplace retirement plans may be delayed for one year. The changes will be in effect through 2020.
- For health savings accounts, health flexible spending accounts and health reimbursement arrangements, the CARES Act includes over-the-counter medicines and famine products as qualifying medical expenses that can be reimbursement by these accounts.
- The Act allows for a $300 above-the-line deduction for cash charitable contributions made to charitable organizations for taxpayers who take the standard deduction.
- The limit on charitable contributions for itemizers is relaxed, increasing the amount that can be deduction from 60 percent of adjusted gross income to 100 percent of gross income.
Both provisions exclude enhanced deductions for contributions to organizations known as sponsoring organizations or donor advised funds.
Look Out for Scams
Cybercriminals may try to take advantage of uncertainly or fear surrounding COVID-19 by offering fake products and medical advice, creating fake charities or enticing you to click a fraudulent link or attachment in an email or text to gain access to your device and personal information. Be cautious, if something looks suspicious.
Contact Us for Assistance – We’re Here to Help
If you didn’t find what you were looking for, please contact your American Federal Banker or an American Federal Sales Office location in Fargo, Grand Forks, Wahpeton or Northwood in North Dakota or Moorhead, East Grand Forks, Fergus Falls, Crookston, Fosston, Hallock, Ada or Warren in Minnesota.
- Eligibility requirements and restrictions may apply. Please contact your American Federal Banker.
- Credit products are subject to normal credit approval and program guidelines. Some restrictions and fees may apply. SBA loans are subject to SBA eligibility guidelines
- American Federal does not provide tax advice.
* The 0% introductory APR applies to Purchases and is valid for the first 20 billing cycles. The 0% introductory APR applies to Balance Transfers made within 620 days of account opening and is valid for the first 20 billing cycles. The introductory rate does not apply to Cash Advances. Thereafter, the APR may vary and as of 1/31/2020, the undiscounted variable APR for Purchases and Balance Transfers is 13.99%-23.99% (based on a cardmember’s creditworthiness). The variable APR for Cash Advances is 25.49%. Cash Advance fee: 4% of each advance amount, $10 minimum. Convenience Check fee: 3% of each check amount, $5 minimum. Cash Equivalent fee: 4% of each cash amount, $20 minimum. Balance Transfer fee: 3% of each transfer amount, $5 minimum. There is a $2 minimum interest charge where interest is due. The annual fee is $0. Foreign Transaction fee: 2% of each foreign purchase transaction or foreign ATM advance transaction in U.S. Dollars. 3% of each foreign purchase transaction or foreign ATM advance transaction in a Foreign Currency. We apply your minimum payment to balances with lower APRs first, including promotional APRs. Amounts paid over the minimum payment will be applied in the order of highest to lowest APR balances. We may change APRs, fees and other Account terms in the future based on your experience with Elan Financial Services and its affiliates as provided under the Cardmember Agreement and applicable law. This offer is valid only for new Visa Platinum consumer card accounts with American Federal Bank and the application must be submitted by August 31, 2020.